G-290 Basic PIO Course
When: April 5, 2017
8am to 5pm (lunch provided)
Where: County Emergency Communications Center (EOC): 3015 Airport Drive Great Falls, MT 59403
Emergency Public Information Officers (PIOs) are responsible for ensuring that the affected public receives accurate and timely information during an emergency. Armed with good information, people are better able to make good decisions and, by doing so; contribute to the overall response goal of saving lives and protecting property. PIOs must be provided with the opportunity to learn and practice skills they will use on the job. The Basic Public Information Officer Course (G290) is designed to prepare participants to function as full- or part-time PIOs.
At the conclusion of the Basic Emergency Public Information Course, participants will be able to; Demonstrate how to communicate emergency public information effectively in writing to public through the media.
- Describe actions the PIO can take to prepare for and conduct an effective interview with the Media.
- Demonstrate the ability to answer questions effectively during an on-camera interview.
- Describe how to effectively perform the responsibilities of the PIO at the scene of an incident.
- Describe how Joint Information System / Joint Information Center concepts apply in an expanding incident
- Describe and demonstrate the components of a formal news conference.
Prerequisites: G-289 or IS-29 (link below)
All federal, state, local, tribal, private sector and non-governmental personnel involved in PIO role.
To register: https://dmades.formstack.com/forms/basic_pio_training_registration_5_april_2017
Training Sponsored By:
MT Disaster and Emergency Services