Wildfire activity is picking up across Montana. Take steps now to ensure you and your family are prepared in case a wildfire occurs in your area. Here are a few ways to get ready:
- Sign up for local emergency alerts and warnings. Many local law enforcement and emergency management agencies have social media pages that you can follow for updates.
- Create a go-kit for each member of your family, including pets. Find suggested items to include at: https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit
- Adhere to local burn bans and fire restrictions to reduce human-caused fires: https://firerestrictions.us/mt/
- Follow your regional National Weather Service for weather updates and forecasts. Red Flag Warnings mean that critical fire weather conditions are occuring or will be occuring soon and you should avoid activities that may start a fire, such as debris burning
- Evacuate if told to do so by local officials. Not evacuating puts yourself and emergency responders at risk
- Mitigate your property so it has a better chance of surviving a wildfire. Find short- and long-term project ideas at: www.firewise.org
- Many wildfire updates can be found on InciWeb by clicking on the individual fire icon: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/
Be safe this summer and encourage others to prepare!